Tuesday 2 October 2012

Peanut butter and condensed milk

Taking a break

Those who know me well will tell you that I am a little bit addicted to condensed milk. Not condensed milk per se but condensed milk with peanut butter, either on toast or as a sandwich. After forty odd years of it, not every day of course, you would think I would be sick of it by now. Sure, I may go without it for years but somewhere down the line, on an unassuming day, I’ll buy a tin, a jar of peanut butter and I will literally eat it continuously until they are finished and will not touch it again, well, until another unassuming day.

I think this weird and wonderful combination will always remind me of my childhood. Growing up in Hong Kong, this was and still is a very popular treat. I can still picture it: sitting in the local cafe, the smell of peanut butter with condensed milk melting on a warm piece of thick toast...heavenly.

Over the years I have tried various combinations: jam and condensed milk, toasted cheese and condensed milk, even toasted cheese, jam and condensed milk! But for me, the ultimate and the perfect marriage, is with peanut butter. Tesco here I come!